Hopefully, this will be the first of many - I got a call from a reporter at the Tacoma News-Tribune and proceeded to play phone tag with him for the rest of the day. Finally got fed up with that, and sort of extrapolated what his email address must be from other reporters' addresses, and emailed him to ask if we could conduct the interview that way. He sent me an extensive list of questions - mostly biographical, but clearly someone's been talking about the whole controversy over Adam Smith's election as delegation chair, because there was a bit of digging for any juicy dirt there.
One of his colleagues will be at the convention. They wanted my cellphone number, so he could get in touch with me at the convention, and they were quite shocked to discover that I'm one of the two remaining American citizens without one. What use would a person with crippling phone phobia have for a cellphone? I'd be afraid to talk on it! I pointed out that, as an alternate, I'lll almost certainly be sitting in the media area just up from the Washington delegation - they should have ample opportunity to interview me in person if they wish.
This is actually my second interview; we were briefly interviewed by a reporter from the King County Journal when we went to the precinct caucus returns after-party up in Seattle, back on February 7. I wish I'd known what date that appeared in the paper; I saw it on the online version, but never bought a paper copy to keep as a memento. They spent more time in that interview with John (and got some of our remarks a bit wrong), but still, it'd be a good thing to keep in a convention scrapbook or something.
He also wanted to know if I could come in the office to have a quick headshot taken. I'll never have time for that before I leave. Tried to get a picture taken last night with John's digital, but between my being in a foul mood (it was too hot!) and not being even remotely photogenic, we couldn't get one to turn out even halfway decent. I'll dig through what I have online and see if there's one I can edit and send along.
Three more donations - Andrea and Marco, our neighbors, brought me over a check, and Dennis called to tell me he'd received two more checks. Hooray! I know there are at least two others in the mail as well, so that'll probably be another hundred dollars between the five of them. That means my hotel room really is paid. I never in my wildest dreams expected to receive that many donations; there are so many people needing money for campaigns this year, and mine's the least of any of them. People have been wonderful.
Started to pack last night. Yikes. It's almost here!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment