Yeeouch!
We had our district endorsement meeting on Wednesday, and wow, are feelings ever running high about the three Democratic candidates for the 8th District House seat. We finally, after much debate and dissension, agreed to endorse all three candidates, as doing otherwise would be something of an implied criticism of their fitness for the office. After that, nobody had the stamina left to debate the relative merits of our two Democratic Gubernatorial candidates, so we endorsed them both.
I spoke against one judicial candidate, as I thought he'd been very misleading when he came to a previous district meeting and spoke against his opponent. He used an example of one particular decision she'd written to question her judicial knowledge and capabilities, but when I did a little research, it turned out that that particular decision had been a 9-0 decision for the State Supreme Court. Obviously, if her judgement was questionable, so was that of the other 8 justices. I thought it was disingenuous of him to make that kind of misleading statement, so I spoke against his endorsement, and the district chose not to endorse him.
The district also did not endorse Adam Smith, primarily because of his recent vote on the Patriot Act. I spoke on his behalf, but to no avail; it was felt that sending a message by refusing to endorse was called for.
I donated a big bag of convention stuff to the district to auction off for the South County Democrats dinner. With luck, maybe it'll bring in some money.
Betty called me last night to ask if I'd consider taking over for her as district treasurer. Um, ick? but I'll probably go ahead and do it. It's probably time to give Betty a bit of a break from that.
I was going to march in the Good Old Days parade tomorrow with Geoff Simpson and Pat Sullivan, and work our booth in the fair, but I think I'm going to have to beg off; John's brother just had major surgery for skin cancer and I don't think we'll be able to work the fair.
So far, I haven't managed to sell one single ticket for the Magnuson Awards dinner. A fine row captain I've turned out to be! I can't even afford to buy one myself, to sit in my lonely splendor all alone in the row. I don't think anyone I know still has $100 to spare.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment