Monday, August 30, 2004

The Magnuson Awards

Wow, what a weekend. I'm exhausted!

It started with the 47th District Kerry meet-up on Thursday evening. Noemie gave us an overview of the coordinated letter-writing campaign several people are doing. I gave an account of my experiences in Boston. Unfortunately, Rick wasn't there to give his perspective as a full delegate.

The Magnuson Awards were great. I ended up with 9 tickets sold, out of my goal of 10, so I was pretty happy with that. Both Geoff Simpson and Pat Sullivan were in my row, which was a little mini-coup for me. It was really interesting to go to something like that and know so many people: I'm much more used to knowing no one at events like that. Saw at least half of the other delegates there; it was nice to be able to see them again. Well, most of them. You probably know who you are. ;-)

Garrison Keillor gave a really wonderful speech, very funny and very heartfelt. He also led us in singing both the Star-Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful, which I loved. I hate that people don't feel they can sing anymore unless they're performance quality - it seems to me that when I was a kid, people sang a lot more than they do now, and I miss it.

This isn't the speech Garrison gave at the Maggies, but it's a similar one, and very well worth reading: http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/979/

Paul Berendt brought both Geoff and Pat onstage for one of the awards, although why is anyone's guess - he didn't have either of them speak at all, just had them standing on the stage while he presented a couple of awards. It wasn't even the award that Ray Shjvernen got - that would have made sense, having Geoff (a working firefighter) present the award to a fellow firefighter.

We stayed out so late afterward (went to an after-party at the Pampas Room) that we almost decided not to go to the Kerry rally Saturday morning. Fortunately, as I'll write about in my next post, we changed our minds and did get up and go.

A friend took a picture of us all dolled up for the awards. It was taken with a camera phone, so it's not exactly high-quality, but it's still a nice picture:

and a good picture of John talking with Pat Sullivan's campaign manager, Alyssa Walz:

No comments: